Sunday, October 29, 2017; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Harper College / 1200 West Algonquin Road, Building P / Palatine, IL 60067
1. Open to any student member who is a student of a Chicago Flute Club member.
2. For the 2017-18 school year, Senior Division students must be in grades 12 and under, Junior Division students must be in grades 9 and under, and Elementary Division students must be in grades 6 and under.
3. Previous first prize winners are not eligible to compete in the same division again.
1. Application must be postmarked by October 2, 2017. Applicants may apply by filling out and mailing the form in this brochure or on the Chicago Flute Club website: chicagofluteclub.org. There will be a $15 late fee for entries if they are accepted.
2. Both student and teacher must be current CFC members. Membership dues ($30 for a student) must be current and may be included along with the application and application fee of $25. Membership dues are non-refundable. Dues include the CFC newsletter, Pipeline, and free or discounted admission to all programs for member and one guest.
3. Each student must submit a name of a parent or teacher/guardian who can volunteer for a 30-60 minute time slot on the day of the competition.
4. Performance time requests should be made in writing with submission of the application, but there is no guarantee a specific time can be accommodated.
5. The competition may be limited to the first 40 applicants in each division. A confirmation letter or email with assigned times for each performer and volunteer will be sent approximately 2 weeks before the competition. It is the student’s or parent/guardian’s responsibility to verify information sent to them by the CFC contest coordinator.
6. Contestants who decide not to compete should notify Jennifer Gosack by October 2, 2017 to allow for necessary schedule changes. The application fee will be refunded only if the cancellation is received on or before October 2.
1. There is no memorization requirement in any division.
2. It is recommended to use the editions specified. If a student chooses to use a different edition or make other changes in the part (such as to articulation or dynamics), the student must supply 2 copies of his/her edition for the judges when competing.
3. Contestants must provide their own accompanist. A list of recommended accompanists may be found on the Chicago Flute Club website or you may use an accompanist not on the list.
ELEMENTARY DIVISION REPERTOIRE – Must be in Grades 6 and under.
Bergamask by Paul Koepke, from Concert and Contest Collection for C Flute with Piano Accompaniment, edited by H. Voxman
Sonata in F Major, Movements III and IV by Benedetto Marcello, from Solos for Flute: 36 Repertoire Pieces, edited by Donald Peck (No repeats)
JUNIOR DIVISION REPERTOIRE – Must be in Grades 9 and under.
Orientale by Rene de Boisdeffre, from 24 Short Concert Pieces, edited by Robert Cavally (No repeats)
Allegretto by Benjamin Godard, from 24 Short Concert Pieces, edited by Robert Cavally
SENIOR DIVISION REPERTOIRE – Must be in Grades 12 and under.
Andante in C by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Barenreiter edition
La Flute de Pan, Movement I by Jules Mouquet, available on IMSLP
Elementary Division Awards: 1st Prize - $100, 2nd Prize - $75, 3rd Prize - $50
Junior Division Awards: 1st Prize - $150, 2nd Prize - $100, 3rd Prize - $75
Senior Division Awards: 1st Prize - $350, 2nd Prize - $250, 3rd prize - $150