Chicago Flute Club
2020 Annual Student Competition
Calling all students!
Learn beautiful music and share your talent at the 2020 Chicago Flute Club Annual Student Competition.
The Chicago Flute Club is excited to announce the 2020 Annual Student Competition. The competition will take place online to ensure the health and safety of our candidates and judges. Online registration will be open on August 1st, 2020! Please click on the registration button at the bottom of this page to register. Application details, competition rules, and other information can be found below.
To be good stewards of our environment and optimize the registration process, competition brochure will NOT be mailed this year. All candidates must register online and submit their audio files by November 1st, 2020.
Below are the required selections for each division of the competition:
1. The student must be a Chicago Flute Club member, as well as their respective flute teacher. Membership dues - US$30 for a student, $45 for a teacher – must be current and may be paid online, which is non-refundable. Check here to see the benefits of becoming a Chicago Flute Club member.
2. Both membership and competition registrations must be made under the full name and e-mail address of the student, not the parent. The guardian/parent will be able to include their e-mail address in the registration form in order to receive all e-mails from the Chicago Flute Club.
3. For the 2020-2021 school year, the student must be in 12th grade or under to register for the Senior Division, 9th grade or under for Junior Division, and 6th grade or under for Elementary Division.
4. Previous first prize winners are not eligible to compete in the same division again.
1. The application for the 2020 Chicago Flute Club Annual Student Competition must be filled out online.
2. A registration fee of US$25 must be paid online on the Chicago Flute Club website.
3. The competition will be limited to the first 40 registrants in each division.
4. Those candidates who decide NOT to compete should notify Dr. Andre Sinico by November 1st, 2020 to withdraw their registration. The registration fee will NOT be refunded.
5. If a candidate wishes to perform the repertoire from a higher division, they must compete ONLY in that advanced division.
6. Audio files do NOT need to be professional quality. Smartphones and similar recording devices are acceptable and encouraged. We highly recommend standing at an appropriate distance from the recording device to be able to hear you clearly.
7. Each piece of the repertoire must be recorded separately as one continuous and unedited performance. No acoustic manipulation nor audio filters may be used.
8. Each audio file must be no larger than 15Mb and named with the last and first names of the candidate followed by the name of the composer. For instance, UNDERWOOD_Susan_Mozart.mp3
9. All competition candidates must upload audio files to the registration form following the order of the repertoire list below, thus submitting them for adjudication.
10. The evaluation and comments of the judging panel for all students will be sent by e-mail to the teachers of each student participant by December 15th, 2020.
1. There is no memorization requirement in any division.
2. It is recommended to use the edition specified below.
3. Any work of the repertoire must be performed with no repeats nor da Capo al Fine, even if is indicated in the sheet music.
4. Any rest shorter than three measures must be counted.
5. No piano accompaniment.
1. The winners of the Elementary, Junior, and Senior Division will be announced on the Chicago Flute Club website and the Chicago Flute Club Facebook Page on December 1st, 2020 at 10:00 a.m.
2. First-place winners in each division will be invited to perform virtually on the Chicago Flute Club Spring Member Showcase Concert in the 2020-2021 season.
3. All competition candidates will receive a certificate of participation.
ELEMENTARY DIVISION AWARDS
1st Prize - $100
2nd Prize - $75
3rd Prize - $50
JUNIOR DIVISION AWARDS
1st Prize - $150
2nd Prize - $100
3rd Prize - $75
SENIOR DIVISION AWARDS
1st Prize - $350
2nd Prize - $250
3rd prize - $150