Chicago Flute Club
2021 Kujala International Piccolo Competition
We invite you to enjoy the terrific final round performances of the
Kujala International Piccolo Competition as well as the conversation
with composer,Marcos Balter by clicking the box below.
Candidates must submit an unedited YouTube video performance of the preliminary round for adjudication containing these pieces and in this order.
1. BALTER, Marcos. Thaw (2021) for solo piccolo. Commissioned by the Chicago Flute Club. See a preview of the work [here].
2. VIVALDI, Antonio. Concerto in C Major, RV 443, P.79, F.VI No. 4 Movement II: Largo. To be played unaccompanied with repeats.
Finalists will record and submit an unedited YouTube video performance of a recital program 20 minutes in length (including time between movements and works).
- Final round repertoire must include at least one memorized selection of at least four minutes in length.
- All finalists must perform the Thaw (2021) for solo piccolo by Marcos Balter which was played in the preliminary round.
- The remainder of the program is to be freely chosen by the performer but is limited to works originally written for the piccolo, or works considered to be part of the traditional piccolo repertoire (i.e. Vivaldi concerto).
- Works requiring accompaniment must be performed with the accompaniment. Fully unaccompanied programs are acceptable as long as they meet the other criteria listed.
1st Prize - $1,000.00
2nd Prize - $500.00
3rd Prize - $250.00
4th Prize - $100.00
Registration is open.
If you have any questions regarding the 2021 Kujala International Piccolo Competition, please reach out to Mr. James Donahue, the chairperson of the adult competitions of the Chicago Flute Club.
Thank you to Keefe Piccolos for your generous sponsorship of this competition!