Chicago Flute Club
2021 Annual Student Competition
Calling all students!
Learn beautiful music and share your talent at the 2021 Chicago Flute Club Annual Student Competition.
The Chicago Flute Club is excited to announce the 2021 Annual Student Competition. The competition will take place online to ensure the health and safety of our candidates and judges. Online registration will be open on October 1st, 2021! Students will submit their recording at the time of registration. Please click on the registration button, when available, at the bottom of this page to register. Application details, competition rules, required repertoire, and other information can be found below.
To be good stewards of our environment and optimize the registration process, competition brochure will NOT be mailed this year. All candidates must register online and submit their unlisted YouTube short link by November 1st, 2021.
1. The student must be a Chicago Flute Club member, as well as their respective flute teacher. Membership dues - US$30 for a student, $45 for a teacher – must be current and may be paid online, which is non-refundable. New members joining before September 1, 2021 will have their memberships extended until September 1, 2022. Check here to see the benefits of becoming a Chicago Flute Club member.
2. Both membership and competition registrations must be made under the full name and e-mail address of the student, not the parent. The guardian/parent will be able to include their e-mail address in the registration form in order to receive all e-mails from the Chicago Flute Club.
3. For the 2021-2022 school year, the student must be in 12th grade or under to register for the Senior Division, 9th grade or under for Junior Division, and 6th grade or under for Elementary Division.
4. Previous first prize winners are not eligible to compete in the same division again.
1. The application for the 2021 Chicago Flute Club Annual Student Competition must be filled out online.
2. A registration fee of US$25 must be paid online on the Chicago Flute Club website.
3. The competition will be limited to the first 40 registrants in each division.
4. Those candidates who decide not to compete should notify Dr. Evan Fojtik by November 1st, 2021 to withdraw their registration. The registration fee will not be refunded.
5. If a candidate wishes to perform the repertoire from a higher division, they must compete ONLY in that advanced division.
6. VIDEO file does not need to be professional quality. Smartphones and similar recording devices are acceptable and encouraged. We highly recommend standing at an appropriate distance from the recording device to be able to hear you clearly.
7. The repertoire must be video recorded in the sequence listed below under each division. Contestants can video record works separately and then combine them together into a single video. Only one YouTube video link should be submitted. No acoustic manipulation nor audio filters may be used.
8. The video on YouTube must be unlisted and named with the last and first names of the candidate followed by the division signed up for. For instance, UNDERWOOD_Susan_Senior_Division
9. All candidates must paste the YouTube URL short link in the registration form, thus submitting it for adjudication.
10. The evaluation and comments of the judging panel for all students will be sent by e-mail to the teachers of each student participant by November 29, 2021.
1. There is no memorization requirement in any division.
2. It is recommended to use the edition specified below.
3. Any work of the repertoire must be performed with no repeats nor da Capo al Fine, even if is indicated in the sheet music.
4. Any rest shorter than three measures must be counted
5. No piano accompaniment.
1. Joachim Andersen - Scherzino, op. 55 No. 6 (any edition)
2. J. S. Bach - Sonata in Eb major, BMV 1031 (any edition)
2nd mvt, Sicilienne - NO REPEATS
1. Antonio Vivaldi - Concerto in G minor "La Notte" RV 439 (any edition)
2nd mvt, Presto
3rd mvt, Largo
6th mvt, Allegro
2. Adolphus Hailstork - Flute Set
3rd mvt, Lento e Teneramente
1. Lowell Liebermann - Soliloguy (Theodore Presser Company)
2. J. S. Bach - Cello Suite #1 in G major
2nd mvt, Courante - NO REPEAThttps://www.flutetunes.com/tunes/bach-cello-suite-no1-courante.pdf
3. Saint-Saens - orchestral excerpt "Voliere" from the Carnival of the Animals
1. The winners of the Elementary, Junior, and Senior Division will be announced on the Chicago Flute Club website and the Chicago Flute Club Facebook Page on November 29, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.
2. First-place winners in each division will be invited to perform virtually on the Chicago Flute Club Spring Member Showcase Concert in the 2021-2022 season.
3. All competition candidates will receive a certificate of participation.
Thank you to Flute Pro Shop for sponsoring all of the Junior Division Awards:
Thank you to Windy City Flutes for sponsoring the 3rd Prize for the Elementary Division:
ELEMENTARY DIVISION AWARDS
1st Prize - $100
2nd Prize - $75
3rd Prize - $50
JUNIOR DIVISION AWARDS
1st Prize - $150
2nd Prize - $100
3rd Prize - $75
SENIOR DIVISION AWARDS
1st Prize - $350
2nd Prize - $250
3rd prize - $150