The Chicago Flute Club's Donald Peck International Flute Competition is open to all flutists age 18 or older from any geographical region. (High school students are not eligible.) Finals held November 4, 2017 at the CFC Flute Festival.
Application must be completed online or postmarked on or before October 2, 2017. To download a printed version of the form, click HERE. Preliminary recordings must be submitted in hard copy via CD.
1. The application fee is $45 and is non-refundable.
2. All application materials must be postmarked by Oct. 2, 2017.
3. High school students and previous first-prize winners are ineligible.
4. Current students of the final round judges (TBA) are ineligible.
5. The winner of the competition will be awarded $1,000.00, the second place winner will be awarded $500.00, the third place winner will be awarded $250.00, and the fourth place winner will be awarded $100.00.
6. The preliminary round will be recorded and no recordings will be returned.
7. Four soloists will be selected for the final round and will perform in person with an accompanist.
8. Applicants will be notified of their status by Oct. 20, 2017.
9. Finalists are responsible for their own travel arrangements and expenses.
10. The final round is open to the public.
11. Final round contestants must provide their own accompanist. The Chicago Flute Club can provide you with contact information for a local accompanist if necessary.
12. All judges’ decisions are final.
Applicants must submit 2 CD recordings, unedited, of the preliminary round selections on CD in the given order. No identifying information should appear on the CD face or packaging. Recordings will be coded and reviewed by a judging committee.
1. John LaMontaine: Sonata for flute alone, Mvt. II “Jaunty”
2. Joachim Andersen: 24 Etudes for Flute, Op. 30, No. 23 in F Major (Progress Press, Peck edition)
Finalists will play for a maximum total time of 20 minutes each (including time between movements and works). Final round repertoire must include at least one memorized selection at least four minutes in length. All finalists must perform ONE of the following:
1. Antonin Dvorak: Romance in F Minor, Op. 11, arranged by Donald Peck (Theodore Presser*)
2. Amanda Harberg: Feathers and Wax
3. Joachim Quantz: Concerto in G Major, Mvt. I “Allegro”
*Pianist AND flutist MUST play from the Peck edition.
For more information contact: Katie Nielsen, Adult Competition Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.chicagofluteclub.org.